Animals in the Wild
Wildlife Watching - Vancouver Island BC
Animals in the wild are one of the major attractions on Vancouver Island BC.
In remote areas of the island, you may see black bears, Roosevelt elk, bald eagles, marmot, or sitka deer.
For an island that is only about 300 miles by 50 miles (at its widest), there is an amazing variety of wildlife to be seen.
In fact, there are several wild animals that are not seen anywhere else in the world. For example, the Vancouver Island marmot, Roosevelt elk and the sitka black tailed deer are all unique to Vancouver Island.
Bald eagles are common on Vancouver Island
In addition, there are many other animals that are uncommonly seen by vacationers. Of course, you won’t be observing coyotes or wolves in Victoria, or bears in the wild in Nanaimo.
But, if viewing wildlife animals is your goal, you will see animals in the wild in more remote areas.
Many people who hike the West Coast Trail, or spend time on the northern island, see large animals that are seldom seen elsewhere--an experience of a lifetime!
Photo courtesy of Webdevil666
Black bear photographed near Tofino
on the west coast of Vancouver Island
- Bears in the Wild - Vancouver Island has both black bears and grizzly bears. If you are interested in
, make sure you know when the bears are most likely to tolerate your presence!
- Facts about Bald Eagles - The magestic bald eagle is commonly seen on Vancouver Island. If you have never seen a bald eagle in the wild, you are in for a treat!
- Vancouver Island Whale Watching
- Some people come to the island--just to go whale watching. There are lots of orca killer whales (and others), and you will not be disappointed. Take a whale watching cruise, or go kayaking with the whales!
Photo courtesy of Razvan Marescu
River otter on on Ogden Point
Victoria, Vancouver Island BC
- Vancouver Island Marmot
- This cute little creature is unique to Vancouver Island. See if you can catch a glimpse of one, while you’re here...
- Elk Facts - The Roosevelt elk is unique to Vancouver Island, and, if you go to the right places, you may see one.
- Sitka Deer - See a black tail deer here, because you won’t see one anywhere else in the world! Sitka black tailed deer are unique to the island.
- Orca Killer Whale
- "Killer" is a bit harsh for these magnificent creatures. They are beautiful animals in the wild, and they are lots of fun to watch!
- Facts about Sea Lions
- What do Stellar sea lions eat? And what do they do all day--besides lying around on the beach?
- Vancouver Island Birds - We have a huge number of beautiful birds all over the island. If you are a bird watcher, you will LOVE Vancouver Island!
- Sasquatch Sitings - Want to see a Big Foot? Well, you just might. There have been a number of sasquatch sightings on the island--and you just might be the next!
- Cadborosaurus - This is Vancouver Island’s Loch Ness monster. And this one is real--over 200 sightings in the last few years. If you see it, you’ll have quite a story to tell after your vacation--when you get back to the office!
So, if seeing animals in the wild is your best vacation plan, you won’t be disappointed when you come to Vancouver Island!
The hardest part will be deciding which animals you want to see and which part of the island to visit!
Return from Animals in the Wild to Discover Vancouver Island Home Page